Monday 3 November 2014

Apron

A few years ago a friend was having a bit of a clear out in order to turn her craft room into a nursery and she passed on a book of sewing patterns by Brooklyn-based Scandinavian designer Lotta Jansdotter. It mostly contains patterns for household accessories such as oven mitts, place mats, a range of bags suitable for carrying anything from books to garden tools to a yoga mat, a duvet cover, desk tidy... hopefully you get the general idea.

One of the patterns is for a double-sided or reversible apron which is a really lovely design. That may sound odd for an apron but it is more than just the usual flat shape and ends up being quite flattering (for an apron!) It is fairly short but the addition of curved side panels gives it ample width and a bit of shape that turns it from being ordinary to something that you wouldn’t mind answering the front door wearing. I made one for myself a few years ago out of denim and red and white gingham, which received lots of complements from the craft club ladies. In fact, a few said I looked as if I was dressed for a party!

So, with the birthday of one of the crafty ladies rapidly approaching and a metre of fabric sitting in my fabric box that I knew she’d like, I set about making her an apron. Lotta’s pattern includes an applique design for a vase and flower but I used one of my own from the butterfly blanket.

Also, the original pattern has two straps at the top that tie at the back of the neck but I find having a knot at this point uncomfortable.  I therefore replaced these with a single strap on one side and a pair of D-rings attached by a short loop of fabric at the other so the neck loop is fully adjustable.
 





Anyway, huge thanks to Ce my fantastic photographer. Now all I have to do is wrap it up in time for the next weekend’s birthday-themed crafty gathering!

No comments:

Post a Comment