Friday 20 March 2015

Rest and Relaxation - of the kitchen kind

After a hectic, exhausting and stressful week at work, what better way to unwind than with some hand crafted therapy. I was going to say 'baking therapy' but that wouldn't be quite right. Let's just settle for plain old rest and relaxation.

The day started foggy but that soon cleared, as did the clouds, and we were given a bit of a treat when the meeting I was in at 9am took a break at 9.20am so we could all go out and see the partial solar eclipse. I got to see it through two layers of welding masks.  Not sure if that was strictly 'safe' but it was all we had to hand! Anyway, that was the first solar eclipse I've ever experienced and could be my last so I decided to embrace the situation. I've heard plenty of hyperbole on the radio about people's experience of it.  I wouldn't quite go that far but it was amazing what the welding masks revealed from what was, to the naked eye, a bright but hazy sky.

Anyway, it was still sunny when I got home so, with the back door flung wide open, I set about switching off from work. Sitting quietly doesn't really work for me as I tend to continue thinking about stuff. What I really need to do is turn my attention to something completely different. Something that requires concentration and thought with a bit of hand-eye coordination thrown in for good measure. I began by making a tray of Apple and Raisin Quinoa Slices - a recipe from the Sainsbury's Magazine courtesy of the Hemsley sisters. These are packed with good things, are gluten-free, almost sugar-free save from 2 tablespoons of maple syrup between all 18 slices, and the only fat is from 50g of coconut oil and whatever fat is contained in sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and desiccated coconut.  In theory they are just 125 calories per slice and packed with good stuff so will hopefully keep everyone healthily satisfied this weekend!

Fresh from the oven, yet to be sliced!

Whilst the tray bake was in the oven I set about making more cheese from my Big Cheese Mozzarella and Ricotta kit. So far I had only ventured to making mozzarella but this evening's challenge was to test out the ricotta instructions. It still involved 8 pints of whole milk, some citric acid but no rennet, and heating the whole lot up to a much higher temperature. It needed careful monitoring to ensure that the milk didn't catch on the bottom of the pan or boil over. That successfully achieved, it was time to stick a lid on and leave the mixture to split into curds and whey.

The science bit
The magic bit - separating into curds and whey

After 20 minutes of leaving the hot milk and citric acid mix it was time to see what had happened to the 'cheese'. All seemed to be going to plan with the curds and whey nicely separated. All I then had to do was strain the whole lot through some butter muslin and, 30 minutes later, I had a batch of ricotta - ta dah!

Straining the curds from the whey
Leaving it for 30 minutes
The 'ta-dah' moment!

Tomorrow this will be turned into a traditional Italian cheesecake, in preparation for Sunday lunch. I can't wait!

I should probably also add that work isn't all bad, mostly thanks to some fabulous colleagues. I returned from a meeting earlier in the week to find this on my keyboard.

A recipe for Limoncello

They know me well! I have already stashed away a recipe for Spiced Cranberry Vodka so it looks as if Christmas presents in 2015 will have a distinctly alcoholic theme!

No comments:

Post a Comment